Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bean Dip Spider








Here is something that I have done many times now - the bean dip spider. To make this you will need:

4-5 cans of refried beans - I prefer the vegetarian since some kids do not eat meat/pork
1 can of black beans
large olives
a red pepper
a yucca root
an avocado
sour cream
shredded lettuce
and salsa
For this spider I first placed a 1/2 head of lettuce on the tray to make the body shape - this worked okay but normally I use a small bowl wrapped in tin foil. I always cover the tray in tin foil also so the kids do not have to deal with dirty dishes, they just take the tin foil off and toss it away.
I then heated the refried beans 1 can at a time and used a spatula to put them onto the 1/2 moon body. After that was covered, I put the shredded lettuce and yucca root down to make the ground. I then took more beans and carefully shaped the legs but putting the beans onto a knife and make them long and pointed. I make the front legs come onto the yucca root so it looks like the spider is crawling. I then put tooth picks into the front and attach the eyes. Using kitchen scissors, I cut the red pepper into two fangs and stick them into the front. I also put an hour glass design cut out of the pepper on the spider's back to show it is a black widow. I then put the black beans on its back as little baby spider eggs and some salsa in a 1/2 mushed up, avocado to be something gross the spider is eating. I send blue and yellow corn chips to eat the spider on.
Here are some pictures of a smaller version also.

No comments: