Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sushi Bugs with fix'ins


This is one that was a BIG hit in both the kids classrooms. Sushi Bugs for kids. I bought a big thing of sushi rice and cooked it up the night before I was assigned snack day. I made about 4-6 cups. I was doing 2 classes and needed some left for dinner so you decide how much you want to make. I also bought chop sticks (20+ for $2.19 at the asian market), dried squid, fried peas, and edamane. I also had either rice crackers or fat, cripsy rice noodles as a side (at the far end). You will also need to get thin cut carrots for the leggs (or some thin veggie). I brought some sauce for them to dip them in also.
So, here is what I did: Take a small bowl and fill it a little full with olive oil. Dip your hands into it, just a little and get them "shiny" with the oil. This is so the sticky rice does not sticky to you. Then start making rice rectangles that look like the sushi you get at the restaurant. Maybe 3 in long and 1 in wide (I am not really great with measurements). I placed them on wax paper which I had placed on a long coconut dish I bought while in SE Asia. After I made about 42 of these (everyone can get about 2 each) I laft some plain and made some with fake crab or egg.
I bought fake crab and just sliced it and used cream chees to stick it to the sushi. Not really into the sea weed wraped around it - I bought it and it was way too crispy to wrap around anything. I have no idea how they do that. So, I just stuck it on.
The egg I basically made a scrambled egg with lots of milk, flour and sugar/honey. The egg sushi my daughter loves is very sweet so, I just made up a recipe until it seems slightly rubbery but sweet and good to her. I microwaved this mix in a small bowl doing 2 eggs at a time. This created a flat, circle shape I could then cut into strips. I then secures these on with the cream cheese also.
I made 1/2 plain, 1/4 crab, and 1/4 egg.
I then took the cream cheese and used it as glue for the "eyes" which were the fried peas. I dipped them into the cream cheese and stuck them on the "head" of the sushi. I then stuck the carrots in as legs (all different numbers) and added some extra peas to the back or little carrot spikes to the backs for a more crazy bug look.
For the dip, I bought some sweet and sour sauce and just allowed the teacher to put it out as needed. They had a little spoon and knew to only take 1 spoonful (everything in Montessori snack is counted out by the kids - they know how much they are allowed).
My daughter's class loved the dried squid! Their teaching assistant is Japanese and she could not keep her hands out of it. All the kids wanted some when they saw how much she loved it.
Sushi can be made into other forms also - I am sorry the picture is not better but you can get the idea. Kids love rice with some side dishes and really liked the idea that they ate sushi for snack!

No comments: